Saturday, February 18, 2006

Sides

Well, much like our current piece of junk Kmart entertainment center, the new one will have two sides that open up, and a center part for the stereo and DVD unit and what not. so, just in case you want to know what I'm talking about, you'll see one of the sides below:
There was a LOT that went into this and this is what I took pictures of earlier as I went along in the process but my STUPID camera LOST the dang blasted freaking pictures!!!! Oh well. Here's the finished product. You'll notice four sides here, but no back. Although you can't see it, it has no front either right now. It will NEVER have a front in fact, because the front will be the drawer that slides in and OUT of this here box. You'll also notice the four pieces of trim that make the neato square on the outter side of this box. Those four pieces of wood were cut to size, and then individually glued together. You know how long the gluing process takes.
The other side that DOESNT have the four pieces of wood on it is the INSIDE of the box that will house the pull out drawer. You'll notice the dado cuts here that will house the shelving metal pieces I've shone previously.
now the drawers are going to have two shelves each. I showed you one shelf already, but they're not glued togehter yet. Once glued, hey'll be screwed and secured to this front piece of the drawer (it doesnt have knobs on it yet of course)

Again, notice the two middle flat pieces AND four smaller pices of trim on all four sides. This glueing is taking a LONG time! LOL--I went and bought stain today. All pieces, when all is said and done, will have to get a coat of stain to make the wood a little darker, then THREE yes, three, coats of pclear, polycrylic, satin finish. Needless to say, I've made good progress in the past little bit of time and I still have plenty more to go, but I'm DEFINATELY on the down hill portion where most of the work is done. A little more glueing, LOTS os sanding left, and ALL of the staining and finishing of the wood. Once THAT'S done, I will still have to put it all together (as I will stain all of the major parts before I put them together with screws and stuff).