Saturday, February 18, 2006

Gluing

So a lot of the asthetic parts of the entertainment center are just glued into place. Mostly it's to make things loo pretty and don't provide any structural support. So here's the glue I'm using:
And here are the SUPER Bessy clamps I got (the two 50 inches ones are NEW ones to replace my crap OLD 40 inchers that SUCKED!!!
Here I am gluing. I sit in this position in the front of the house for hours on end waiting for every 30 minutes to go by so I can glue another piece. I could glue the entire thing in 30 minutes if I had unlimited number of clamps--but alas, I do not and they are pricly litte buggas anyway. Speaking of buggas--notice bugga lazing her fat self around. For some reason she likes to hang out when I do my woodworking.
Now in the following photo, you'll see two pieces of wood. The top one has a small, long piece of wood glued to it. That took 30 minutes for it to glue and another 24 hours to cure. Then, I sanded it with 60 grit, then 150 grit, and finally, 220 grit sand paper. Afer all of that, you get what you see there. On the bottom is another piece--this time with TWO long narrow pieces of wood glued to it. This was again another 30 minutes of gluing/clamping, followed by a 24 hour wait period. Then after sanding, you get what you see.
NOW, one last glue and clamp will lock them together as seen below and you can put DVD's on this "shelf-to-be" longways (not up and down like you might normally think of putting them (not tall wise). Anyway, three more to go and I'll have the shelving done!!!