Saturday, February 18, 2006

Routing

So this is where I left off. I showed you the top part of the base of the entertainment center. Well, I added me some trim. Sounds easy, but you try to make a piece of oak cut at precisely 3/4 of an inch for 96 inch cuts! It's tougher than you'd think. I actually had Karen help me for that one. So I cut the wood, then made some miter cuts (45 degree angle cuts) and glued them on as you can see. Again--I sa, "glued them on" so non-chalaunt. Think about this, at the time, the longest clamps I had were 40 inches, the base is 42.5 inches long. Yeah--how did I clampt them!? I had to rig up some weirdo contraption that worked fairly well. I took plenty of pictures, but for some reason I found out tonight, that my STUPID camera has decided to just delete the last 25 pictures that were in the camera!!!!! So, I've taken NEW pictures tonight of what's been finished. I'm so upset because now, you won't see the PROCESS of how it gets done--rather, just the stupid finished products which is SO much more boring. Whatever. Onward and upward. Here is the base:Now, I use a router. For those that aren't familiar with how routers work, they can make rounded or beveled or all SORTS of cuts into wood. I used a roundover bit which, well, rounds over a straight edge. This is a 3/8 inch roundover bit. As you can tell, there are blades that spin at anywhere from 8k rpm to 25rpm (depending on what I set the router to). I run it through one sid eup, then flip it over and do the other side.
below you'll see a finished test run piece I did with the router bit next to it so you get how it's chipping the wood off and forming a rounded edge.
Now, a quick comparrison as to what it looked like before and after:
and now let's check out what it looks like on the base of the entertainment center!
SUPER!!!!

Karen helped me run this through the router because it's such a freaking big piece of wood! She's a super woodworking apprentice! ; )