Saturday, February 18, 2006

dado blades

OK--so once the dado blades are installed into the table saw, and start spinning, they will cut a very THICK part of wood out of the piece of wood running over it. In this case, I put 3/4 inch thick of baldes on and cut the edge of this piece of wood off . This type of cut is called a rabbet cut.
I know it looks like its a bunch of pieces of wood sitting on each other, but its really just one piece of wood (above). It looks like a lot of them because it's plywood. At any rate, I made the cut and as you can tell it's SUPER clean!!!! Now I can put a piece of wood in this space. It just so happens, that the wood I'm putting there is the same width of the cut I made (3/4 inch).
as you can tell, it fits perfectly. Now I just need to glue it! Well, make a few more dado cuts and THEN get to gluing! ; ) In addition to the boxes I'm making to house the shelves, I'm making shelves inside the entertainment center to hold the stereo and DVD player. To do that, I'm installing some metal shelving. None of that crappy metal rod junk. I mean a REAL shelving system. To do that, I need to disguise it well. I think this will call for another DADO cut!!!
Now, in this picture, you'll see the SUPER dado cut I made and where the metal insert will slide into and be FLUSH with the wood so it wont stick out!
TADAAAAAAA!!! I put a metal piece IN there and then another OUTSIDE of the wood so you can tell WHY I needed to do that.
OoooooooooK! Next up, some routing, and MAJOR glue jobs!