Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pulte Dissapoints

So we bought out house new from Pulte. During the closing process, apparently we were supposed to be able to call this out and have them fix it (or within the first year of being in the home). What am I talking about?

First, some background. Each year clear the sprinkler system heads as grass grows over them during the Fall/Winter months and they don't always pop up to water the grass the next Spring. This year, as I was on the last zone in my yard, I turned around and saw a HUGE mound--like a pitcher's mound. I was thinking, "What in the HECK?!" So I see it's got some water coming out of the side of it and I poke it with my shovel. Water came GUSHING out like a fire hydrant. I ran to turn off the water and started digging and THIS is what I found.Yes--a freaking 2x4 about 2.5 feet long sitting up against my pipes 8 inches under ground. Yeah, Pulte, I would really find this during the closing process or within the first year of owning the home. This is pure negligence. I called them, but you can guess how that went down. Don't be fooled by their #1 customer service claims--that's because anything that should be complained about is hidden where you can't see it until it's too late. This is where the end of the 2x4 was touching; and coincidentally where the pipe was broken.
Here I am after waiting 6 days for Pulte to get around to calling me back about what, if anything, they would do about the situation. I'd like to thank Ask This Old House for showing me how to do some basic pvc pipe plumbing on tv. For my first time, I did pretty spanky and I felt like a pro!
Here's what it looked like without a flash--kinda dark.
I used this neat trick to cut the pipe in the ground since it would have been almost impossible to get a hacksaw down there in the limited space I was working with. I learned this trick when Todd and I went to a hardware store in Springfield when we made, "The Official." lol. fun times. It's juse a steel wire with some clamped buishings on the end (so I could make a loop for my fingers). Just move the wire back and forth and the heat generated will cut through the PVC pipe! It's not as clean of a cut as a hack saw, but it works. Apparently, you can use cotton string as well, but I hadn't tested that out before and this was only 25 center per foot of wire anyway.
Needless to say, the sprinkler plumbing is fixed--no thanks to Pulte. Now if I could just get those blasted wasps to stop from coming around to pick up the spare clay around the dig hole.