Sunday, January 08, 2006

Home for a day

Yup--I've been home since last Friday night, but I'm headed out again tonight for Loredo, TX. Then, next week I'll head on our to Grand Rapids, MI. Hopefully, that will be the end of my traveling for a while though. I'm going to add a few more pictures of Snyder, TX on here for ya. First off, the White Buffalo of Snyder, TX!!! I'm not sure exactly why there's a white buffalo in the city's town centere, but everyone references it as a landmark, so I captured it.


Now, I'm not sure how familiar anyone is with northern Texas, but there's not much there. From Midway, to Abaline, to Lubbock, it's all farm--most of which is oil and cotten. COTTON!!! I arrived the first week there (which turned out to be the first of four weeks), and it was stunning to me. I never in my mind thought about the fact that yes, indeed, we still need to grow cotton to make clothes. I just go to the store and they are there on the shelves. It was a big eye opener--cotton picking is surprisingly fascinating. So, I took a few pictures of what it's like. First we have the machine that does the cotten picking below:

If you'd like to see the piles these things make, ask and I'll post it online. After thinking about it, these pictures just don't do the process justice. If someone really wants to see the piles of cotten these things can produce though, let me know and I'll post a picture of this thing's "output." A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!



I love flying in the clear skies. I've seen some of the cooles things in the plane I think. Here is one of them. You'll notice what I think is the North Star at the center top of this sunset picture. Sweet. And if you thought THAT was cool, I've always wanted to take some pictures of what it looks like at night when I land in Houston's airport--a dazlling array of my favorite colors! I never knew this but all airports are sprinkled with my two favorite colors--blue and green. It's an amazing sight for me--again, you may think this is stupid, but I just love seeing all of the little lights. I did my best to capture the feeling of it, but these didn't turn out well because I didn't get the pilot to stop so I could take a picture (punk). I didn't want to put a flash on here because it would have ruined the colors and probably reflected off of the window and made the picture all white. At any rate, next time you land at night in an airport, look out the windows and you'll see what I mean.