Saturday, July 23, 2005

Project?! What project?



That's right folks. I'm here and ready (finally) to take on home projects. This is my new baby. My 3 HP, 15 amp supercharged nitro table saw. Well, it's not really supercharged and it doesnt really have a nitro--but it sure does seem like it does.

This was my house warming gift. While Karen opted for rugs, drapes, and furniture, I decided to go with tools. Big, manly, overcompensating tools (overcompensating for the many years I've gone without that is). Karen has yet to get the drapes and furniture part, but she DID get rugs at least. She will continue to get stuff though I promise.

I actually made me some dang cool shelves for the garage. I kept the bottom shelf about 5-6 inches from the floor in case of a small flood (if it's a big flood, then who cares, but if it only floods an inch or two, then we'll be safe. I didnt pay for a piece of wood in building it either. That's the
beautiful thing about living around other new homes being built--the scrap wood is plentiful. So I'm guessing you could put a good 400 lbs at LEAST on each shelf without causing any damage to it. SWEET! If Judy wants to come and sleep over sometime I can clear a shelf off and put some sheets on it for her. It'll be the warmest bed in town. Karen wouldnt mind that actually now that I think about it. She loves the heat. Good thing too--there's PLENTY of it.

Here is my next project. It's a cedar lined hope chest that my great grandmother had. She gave it to my grandma when she turned 16 and my grandmother gave it to my mom when she turned 16 and my mom gave it to me when I moved into my first house! Basically--its super old, but still cool. So what's the current state of the piece? It's been painted with many coast of ugly ivory and ugly decorated roses (all by my grandmother). I'm going to strip that junk off, sand her down, and put some nice laquer/varnish on it. The inside is perfect and wont need any work. The front right foot broke off and I'll have to glue that back on (perhaps screw it in also) and then take the wheels off of each of the remainings legs (I dont see a need for it to have ugly, rusted rollers anymore).

Anyway, after that? I'm not sure what the catch will bring in, but I'm sure it'll be fun. OH! A couple book shelves for Karen. DEFINATELY. Book shelves!!!!! I'll let you know how it goes though. I start a required 55 hour week starting Monday, July 25 and I'm sure that will run until at least September or so when it will hike up to 60 hours, and in december or so it'll go up to around 65 hours until the end of February.

The summer was fun though and it gave us a chance to move in. I'm happy with that. No matter how bad busy season turns out to be, it's worth it. I love our new home. I love coming "home." I love sitting in my own family room and listening to seinfeld on my surround sound wired room, surfing the internet on a secured wired jack, and walking around in my own, clean, organized garage. Life is good my friends. I'm glad to have made it thus far in life.

lates,

Jason