Our winter break looked a little different this year. A few
weeks before, my mom had a medical crisis that landed her in the hospital (as
many of you know, she has advanced dementia). I jumped on a plane to fly to
Georgia to help my dad. I was supposed to come back and we were planning a trip to see
some snow for winter break, but she ended up in the ER after we thought she was
getting better. So I stayed and Jason and the kids jumped in the van and drove
to Georgia to help us manage all that was going on.
I was so grateful to be there to help my parents. It was a
true circle of life moment - my mom was scared, and I comforted her. She needed
help eating, so I fed her, and when she was cold, and I found her warm
blankets. I helped her get dressed and tried to make her laugh when she wasn't
feeling well. I was happy and grateful to do things for her that I know she did
for me so much during my life. Taking care of aging parents is difficult and
humbling and rewarding all at the same time.
Jason was amazing as he made the trip fun for Chase and
Claire by taking them out on hikes during the day, and we got to go on walks
and out to dinner with my dad when we weren't at the hospital. We also helped him around the house. It was a hard
trip but so worth going and I am so glad we were there. When we got back, we
took the kids horseback riding for Valentine’s Day and Claire finally got her
wish of sleeping in the "hanging tent" in the tree with Jason (his
portaledge). I'm so grateful for families and for all the doctors and nurses
that helped get my mom back to feeling better. And for my family for giving up
their vacation to help! I feel so blessed. 💕























