Thursday, May 31, 2007

Everything has a place . . .

So, when I was growing up, my dad ALWAYS had a place for everything. If, on the rare occasion, there was not enough room to put things, he'd make places for them. One of the things I remember the most are the shoe racks. There was one in the garage and one in the laundry/entry room. Everyone had to put their shoes there--even our friends who came over to visit. Shoes were not allowed to just sit out in the open. So, I too have a few places for shoes. It started with a weakly engineered wire stand from walmart in the garage. I added to my shoe storage capacity by building the front entry way bench. But, that is more for decoraction that it is for every day use. Especially with the baskets in there. You can't just kick your shoes off into the spaces. You have to remove the baskets, put your shoes in, then put the baskets back in place. Evern still--after two locations, we still had shoes lying around--lots of shoes. So, I built one for Karen.
I measured the height of her shoes and noted the optimal height between each shelf for her style of shoes is about 7 inches. You'll note my shoe shelves are not poorly made--the dado cuts are TIGHT (dado cuts are the slits cuts half way into the wood where the shelves SLIDE into),


and then reinforced with three screws on each side. These puppies are not going ANYwhere. I liked her shelves so much I made one for myself, too!
I was on a ROLL! So I decided to take the remaining scrap wood (all of these were made with scrap wood from previous projects or taken from the scraps/trash near the new homes being built nearby) and make a BIG shoe rack in the garage where I could store ALL the remaining shoes AND odd ends such as my roller blades. Again using the dado cuts and reinforced screws.
TIGHT! Dad would be proud, I'm sure.